Skip to main content

The Miscarriage: : the Mini Confinement after Miscarriage

When it comes to confinement following a miscarriage, there are 101 versions of old wives tales to confuse you.
There're people who say (such as doctors and gynaes), since the pregnancy period is short, less than 3 months, it didn't affect our body much so we actually do not need to do confinement.
But my gynae did mention that of course i can try to avoid the cold, icy stuffs still.

And then there will be the extreme ones who'd think going through a miscarriage is more damaging to a woman's body than giving birth itself and hence one must observe the rules of confinement and the best is to do it for 2 weeks.
But think about this, where on earth to get 2 weeks mc? we are only entitled 14 days mc a year leh...

And then there's the reasonable ones and I'm blessed that both my mother and mother-in-law and even my brother's mother-in-law, who runs a chinese medical hall (TCM) belongs to this group.
So naturally, i fall into this group as well.
According to TCM from my brother's mother-in-law, since I'm pregnant for 2 months = 2 days confinement.
Well that makes alot of sense.

But i still continue to enjoy the luxury of having the fan and aircon cos the weather is just so warm! and after eating so much heaty food, our body temperature increases as well.

Ok so here's my simple confinement ,was given 3 days of MC from Mon-wed only:

1) bathed and washed hair on Sunday before D&C. Did not bath for one day on Monday only. Bathed and wash my hair on Tuesday (that's not really 2 days in exact but i thought as long i as i dry myself and blow dry my hair immediately, it should be fine)
2) Been drinking longan red date tea with ginger since Sunday to Tuesday. Changed to just ginger boiled with water from Wed and brought it to work on Thurs as well.
3) I still continue to touch tap water. brush teeth, wash stuff and wash face throughout these period though i've heard that it's best not to touch tap or cold water
4) no cold drinks or anything cold from the fridge
5) been eating ginger chicken cooked in rice wine for lunch and dinner from Sunday till Wed. Eat lunch as per normal when back to work on Thursday and back to ginger chicken for dinner.

for a change, i had mee sua cooked in Ginger chicken  in rice wine for lunch and rice for dinner.
It is really very yummy! good thing is i love it and mother in law purposely cook it with chicken breast - my favourite

6) been drinking tonic soup daily from Sunday till Wednesday, these include "ba zhen" and dang gui
this is how the "ba zhen" looks like.
thank god i've always enjoyed drinking herbal soup since young

8) substitute tonic soup with chicken essence with dang gui when i start to go back to work since we can only boil it on weekends when we're home.
9) drink D.O.M every night before going to bed.

This period, I've been very blessed by our family members who showered us with so much care and concern.
At the same time, i felt bad causing trouble for everyone.

My brother, sis-in-law and mother have to pop by our place to pass me the herbs, teach us how to prepare it and give us a bottle of D.O.M
Mother will cook tonic soup for me whenever we go back for dinner.

My mother in law will stay home most of the day to prepare the food for me and ensure that everything is well taken care of. So much so that my meals are served right up to my nose.

My father-in-law felt bad about not knowing how to contribute and kept asking Mr. Keir if he can buy chicken essence or if there's anything that he can get for me.

My sister-in-law popped by, wanting to visit me and bought us chicken essence as well, even though i was napping when she visits.

And of course my sweetest hubby, Mr. Keir who has been by my side and knowing that this is the period i get sensitive, he gave me tons of reassurance and always run errands for me. Thought he does get his patience tested by me at times.

Although this was a misfortune but we're blessed with so much love from our family and friends.
I'm sure with all the love and support, my body will recuperate fast enough and i heard it's easier to fall pregnant again soon after a miscarriage (even though my gynae told me that's a myth but i will want to believe in it).



Comments

  1. Hi, im so happy to read that you had a baby again. :) I've just went for d&c few days back, lost our 8 weeks lil precious. Am still trying to get thru it, still missing him or her, still feeling lost but kept my smiles to stop my loved ones from worrying. Can I ask on how long did you do the mini confinement in total? Was there any ailments like aching etc after that becos of the short period confinement done? Im really dying from thirst just drinking red dates& longan water... T_T and the no shower thing.. It'll really help me alot if you reply this! TIA babe!^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Belinda
    I'm so sorry tp hear of your loss. First trimester miscarriage is a lot more common than we know.
    For my case I only Did confinement for 2 days. Tcm believes to do 1 day confinement for each pregnancy month and I did the modern way, I still bathe as usual. Even when im doing the full month confinement after I gave birth, I still bathed everyday. Jist ensure u are using warm water and to dry yourself thoroughly.
    I did not suffer from any ailments following the 2 days confinement I've done.
    Do let your body recuperate and allow your first menstrual cycle to arrive before trying tp conceive again.
    I managed to conceive baby ashlene 8 months later.
    I believe there's a reason for making us go through the loss and eventually you will be blessed with another baby soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZTP offers tonics and other related products at affordable prices and invites all those who are anxious to buy it.

    Traditional Chinese medicine singapore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the blog and the references. The post contains really lot of valuable information.
    Confinement Day Care Service for Mothers and Newborns

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I read this blog through my colleague. I'm just wondering if you could recommend any good TCM clinic in singapore. I also had a miscarriage this month and my colleague told me that maybe TCM can help if i want to conceive again. Thanks for those who will answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate this post and I like this very much. I am waiting for new post here and Please keep it up in future.
    https://www.lcrenovation.co.uk/loft-conversion-in-battersea/
    House Renovations in Battersea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. False Ceiling Price Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Nice blog. These tips are very helpful for who think to buy maternity dress. So, I shall be very thankful to you to discuss this useful information with us.
    Best online maternity stores
    maternity wear dresses

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BTO Keys Collection and BTO Door Opening Ceremony

And so after a long 4 years wait, our BTO is finally ready for keys collection. To be honest we totally forgot about out BTO and was pleasantly surprised to receive an SMS from HDB to inform us of our BTO keys collection date. That was when we frantically tried to hunt for an ID. Ok to cut the story short, here's what happened on the BTO keys collection day as well as what we did for our "BTO Door Opening Ceremony". There really wasn't an official BTO door opening ritual or ceremony in fengshui. I guess this is just a Singapore custom. Though we do not have a religion, in particular, we just did it for an ease of mind. Love the  living room view from our 30th storey BTO view from our Service Yard BTO Key Collection Process at HDB Time took: less than an hour It was a very straightforward and easy process. Here's what you need to prepare, assuming that you are taking the loan from HDB. Identity cards Marriage certificate if you are buying

Taiwan Kids friendly Accommodation with slides - not your usual list!

And so from a mere idea of bringing Sticky Bean with us to Taiwan, this idea was put into action with Singapore Airlines 70th Anniversary promotion where you get to pay only $70 for a child's ticket! Though it's not exactly the cheapest option for flying to Taiwan, we thought to pay a little more for better service and not to mention safety since it will be Sticky Bean's first time traveling on a relatively longer flight. Her first plane ride was a really short one to KL, a mere 1 hour away. If she's manageable on the flight, we can then consider budget airlines such as Scoot or even Jetstar for our subsequent travels. So why Taiwan? There are plenty of reasons for our choice other than both Mr. Keir and myself love Taiwan for the food and hospitality. I'm sure you may have come across Awesome kids friendly accommodation with slides and other themed rooms in Taiwan that are trending in facebook. That was one of the many reasons why we want to go Taiwan too!

8 Day 7 Night Kaohsiung Kids Friendly Iitnerary (Taiwan)

Finally, we embarked on an exploration trip to the Southern part of Taiwan. Having heard so much about E-Da World in Kaohsiung, we decided to take a direct flight just to explore Kaohsiung. Initially, we'd wanted to do a Kaohsiung-Tainan trip but decided to skip Tainan this time around and did a Kaohsiung-Nantou trip instead. We had so much fun and would highly recommend a visit to Kaohsiung to any families travelling with kids. In fact, we find Kaohsiung a lot more child-friendly than Taipei. It is also less crowded so it makes it less claustrophobic taking public transport in Kaohsiung as opposed to Taipei. The people there are also a lot friendlier and helpful. This time around, my mum joined us as well and Sticky Bean was ecstatic as she gets to spend quality time with her Popo. Here's a preview of our 8 Days 7 Night Kaohsiung Kids Friendly Itinerary (Taiwan) . You can click on the respective days for a detailed post. The link will be up once it's ready